Government Mahakoshal Arts & Commerce Autonomous (Lead) College Jabalpur is one of the oldest and most prestigious institutions of higher education in Central India. Established in 1836, the pioneer educational institute is located in Jabalpur an ancient town, the place of worship and penance of the great sage Jabali. The town named Jabalipattan, later Jabalipuram situated on the bank of holy river Narmada is cradled between the magnificent ranges of Vindhyachal and Satpura. Modern Jabalpur still abounds in natural splendor as Mother Nature has been benevolent towards this city. It is developing fast under Smart city National project. Situated in the heart of Madhya Pradesh Jabalpur has the honour of being blessed with the world famous tourist spot the marble rocks of Bheraghat. Jabalpur has produced world renowned sages like Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Acharya Rajneesh. The former Mahesh Yogi was known for his transcendental meditation the letter known as Osho enlightened the people world over. Acharya Rajneesh was a Professor in Government Mahakoshal College.
- The institution first came into existence as Saugor School under the charge of Headmaster Mr. G. Wiggins in 1836. In 1860 it was upgraded to Saugor Collegiate School. It was transferred to Jabalpur in 1873 on bullock carts in a week long time. It carried on its journey being established at various locations, finally was shifted to present Civil Department of Govt. Engineering College, Jabalpur.
- The institution rose to prominence as Robertson College named after Honorable Sir Benjamin Robertson, then Chief Commissioner of the Central Provinces. From 1916 to 1962 its fame grew by leaps and bounds. It was affiliated to Calcutta University from 1860 to 1891, then to Allahabad University from 1891 to 1923, Nagpur University from 1923 to 1946, Saugor University from 1946 to 1956 and is now affiliated to Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur.
- Undergraduate courses English, Science and Maths started in 1896. Other UG courses such as History, Economics, Sanskrit, Geography, Philosophy, Political Science, Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology were introduced in 1905. Post Graduate courses in Hindi started in 1928-29, English Literature in 1939-40. B A Urdu started in 1939.
- Its name was changed to Mahakoshal College after independence in 1947. It was elevated to Postgraduate status from 1942 to 47. PG in History, Economics, Sanskrit, Geography, Philosophy and Political Science were introduced from 1948-1955.
- It was granted permanent affiliation under 2f and 12B by UGC in 1956. The college had strength of 3062 students and the total strength of the staff was 124 in 1961.
- The college was bifurcated into Govt. Mahakoshal Arts College and Govt. Science College in 1962, the major reason being the enormous increase in the strength of the University Grants Commission in 1962. PG in Urdu was introduced in 1964. BA Psychology and Sociology were added in 1983 and in 1984 respectively.
- Commerce stream was started in 1983 and the college was renamed as Govt. Mahakoshal Arts & Commerce College. UGC New Delhi conferred it with the Autonomous status in the year 1988. In 1992 it became Govt. Mahakoshal Arts & Commerce Autonomous College after autonomous scheme became effective with semester system in PG from I to IV semester.
- The Department of Commerce and the Department of Economics started conduct self financed Vocational Courses Office Management and Secretarial Practice and Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management in1996. PG in psychology was started under the self-finance scheme in 2000. Department of Commerce also introduced BBA and Computer Application as self finance courses in 2007.
- Department of Higher Education Govt. of Madhya Pradesh nominated this college as the Lead College for Jabalpur District in 2002. The Principal has the drawing and dispersing power of two Govt. Colleges and 12 Govt. aided Colleges. Lead College acts as a bridge between Additional Director, Higher Education, Jabalpur and 73 Govt. and Private Colleges that come under its jurisdiction. Principal, Lead College is responsible for financial matters, complaints, and legal matters related of all these colleges.
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council, (NAAC) Bangalore awarded B+ Grade to the College in Semester System was introduced at UG level at 2008-2009. NAAC Bangalore awarded B Grade to the College in 2012.
- Research Centre in Psychology and Urdu were established in 2012. Pre Ph.D Course work in Psychology was conducted from 2012-2017. As the University did not conduct the DET exam for research scholars in the past year there was no enrolment in the Course work in Psychology. Moreover there are no regular faculties in Urdu and Psychology Departments.
- Virtual Classes started in 2013 as an attempt by the Higher Education Department Govt. of MP to impart knowledge virtually. Regular syllabus of B.A., B. Com and MA, M.Com and other programs related to students- like, yoga, Sports and Personality Development etc are transmitted regularly every year.
- Digital Multimedia Language Lab and Smart Class Room established. Short Term Certificate Course in Communicative English started.
- NSS Girls’ wing started on 15th August 13.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Tata Institute of Social Sciences, (TISS) Mumbai and Govt. Mahakoshal Arts & Commerce College, Jabalpur was signed in Centre of National University Student Skill Development Programme (NUSSD) was established in our College. Students registered with NSS were benefitted by the Skill development courses run by professionals trained by TISS for a period of three years.
- Two new seminar halls constructed in 2015.
- Autonomy review was conducted by a committee made by UGC, New Delhi in November 2016. Autonomy has been extended for a period of five years from 2016-2022.
- Huge Tree Plantation (51000 saplings) done at district level- claiming Guinness Book World Record in 2017
- Outdoor Indoor Stadium construction completed in 2017.
- An MOU has been signed with World Bank in 2017 and another with RESCO in 2018 for roof top solar energy, with the initiative of Higher Education Department, MP Govt. A sum Rs. 20 crores has been allocated by World Bank under RUSA project in the current year. The Institutional development Plan (IDP) of submitted to World Bank for infrastructural development, curriculum enrichment, faculty development etc.
- Vermicompost pit, greenhouse, solar street light, solar roof top panels established in 2018.
College Code: , NAAC Status: B, Registered with UGC Under 2(f) AND under 12(B)
|Establishment Year :||1836|
|Institute Type :||Government, Autonomous||Institute Level :||State|
|Medium of Instruction :||Both Hindi and English Medium||NAAC Grading :||B|